1 in 10
Wages amongst the occupations held by our homeless families have lagged or even decreased. Compounding this challenge, housing in New York City’s real estate market is as unaffordable as ever.
- New York is the only city in the U.S. that is legally required to provide shelter to homeless families and single adults
- Every night, nearly 52,660 people go to bed in a homeless shelter in NYC
- Nearly 17,400 children will go to bed in a City shelter tonight
- Nearly 60% of New Yorkers in shelter are families with children.
- Last year, 16% of all homeless New Yorkers were under the age of six.