1 in 10
1 in 7
Wages amongst the occupations held by our homeless families have lagged or even decreased. Compounding this challenge, housing in New York City’s real estate market is as unaffordable as ever. Nearly 61 percent of extremely low-income families spend at least half of their income on rent.
- New York is the only city in the U.S. that is legally required to provide shelter to homeless families and single adults
- Every night, nearly 60,000 people go to bed in a homeless shelter in NYC
- 21,000 children will go to bed in a City shelter tonight
- About half of the homeless in NYC shelters are children
- There are only 35 affordable apartments available per 100 extremely low-income renters in New York